My sweet husband and I.

My sweet husband and I.
Leah Bess Photography.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Vegetarian Obsessions..

So whilst becoming Vegetarian has proven difficult sometimes, for the most part I am having so much fun.

I pick up vegetables that often times I would have never purchased, just to see what I can do with them. (like a Daikon, I googled the heck out of that.. turns out it's a fancy and delicious radish)..

But there are a few staples that I rely on as a new vegetarian, and I've come to be obsessed with them actually. Here there are:

1.) Spinach! I have never been a fan of cooked spinach (or canned. yuck.) But fresh spinach.. I now crave it. I put it in everything I make for dinner, eat it as a side with a little dressing.. I love the stuff. You need to get in on that green spinachy goodness friends. Vegan, what? posted this nifty photo about how great Spinach is for you. 

2.) Black beans and lentils. I will try to buy anything with black beans in them. There are some great lentil soups and black bean soups out there. They are great fillers in traditional meals as well, too. (Lentil pot pie, black beans in place of ground meat in Mexican food dishes. The options are endless.) Beth has a great recipe for lentil taco's that I love and make frequently.. I throw in a potato as well for more filling. Find it here: Beth's Lentil Taco's. She's also got a yummy looking Mexican Lentil Stew I'm eyeing!
lentils photo courtesy of google search

3.) Yellow squash and Italian squash. I put these babies in everything. Pasta, rice dishes, I made a mushroom stroganoff with these in it. Last night we made veggie fajita's with both types of squash, red pepper, onion and mushrooms. Yum! Not to mention they are super cheap at most stores and good for your health!
photo courtesy of Wiki

4. Lightlife Brand Veggie Burgers & Backyard grillin' burgers. These babies are so good, and Lightlife is a great brand that uses non GMO soy and ingredients. Love them! Lightlife


Other things I am experimenting with that I'm certain I'll be obessesed with:
1. Polenta (there are sooo many delicious looking recipes out there. It seems so versatile!)
2. Quinoa (I know I'm so late. But I'm going to try it!)
3. Tempeh. It's a soy based product that I first tried when going vegetarian, and had no clue what I was doing. I think with a little help and a cookbook I can master it. 

Happy eating!
-Ash 

No comments:

Post a Comment