My sweet husband and I.

My sweet husband and I.
Leah Bess Photography.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Home made pizza and 5 minute tomato soup

So here am I writing a post with no pictures again.. I swear I have good intentions but don't think about sharing a recipe until I've devoured it. So I'll post pics of what I used instead ;)

This is one of my favorite "poor man's meals", seriously. Such a favorite I ate it all before I could photograph it :(

I've been trying to cook out of my pantry this week, and not to go to the store (more on that separately).. and I knew I could make a pizza because I had crust, sauce, and some veggies.

I like to use this Betty Crocker crust because all you do is add water, and it's about $1 at my grocery store. I tend to stock up on them, because oddly pizza is a great way to clean out your fridge (think half an onion, half a bell pepper, a few mushrooms. You get the point..)

p.s. the "24 pack" is via google search, you just need one bag to feed two hungry people :) 

So while I planned to make a salad for the side, we were lower on spinach than I thought, so I decided to whip up tomato soup out of the left over sauce for the pizza. I grabbed a jar of H-E-B Marinara (but any jar or home made red sauce will do)..

Note: be careful what jar pasta you use. They are FULL of sugar, I think I chose this one because of the low sugar count (3g vs much more in others)

So, here's the skinny:

Home made pizza and quick tomato soup

Pizza:
Ingredients:
Any pizza crust (I like Betty Crocker)
Any jar or home made red sauce, 1 cup for pizza, save the rest for soup
Any cheese (mozzarella or pizza blend is best, I used pizza blend and some feta I had on hand)
Veggies of your choice (onion,mushroom,spinach,bell pepper, olives, pineapple, banana pepper, etc)

Prepare crust using package directions. I bake mine for 10-15 minutes on it's own, then pull it out of the oven. Add 1 cup of sauce to pizza crust, then cheese, then raw chopped veggies. Bake for another 10 minutes until cheese has melted and crust is firm. 

While you are awaiting your pizza, start your soup.

Quick tomato soup:

Ingredients:
Remaining jar of red sauce
a pinch of brown sugar
milk or cream
herbs such as basil, parsley, oregano

Directions:
Put red sauce and fresh or dried herbs in food processor and pulse until smooth and soup like consistency. Remove and place in small saucepan. Add milk until desired consistency (I probably used 1/4 cup), add a pinch of brown sugar, and salt to taste. I also add lots of black pepper. Heat through, then serve immediately. 

I'll leave you with this rad pic I found via google searching pizza. You're welcome. 


Like I said, I'm a lame-o for not taking pics, but we inhaled it. Next time I'll add pics. This was really thrown together in terms of the soup, so you can adjust it to your liking. I like lots of basil, lots of milk, and lots of pepper. Make it your own last minute creation, and take pride in knowing you can make a meal out of one jar of pasta sauce!

This guy is cute too. "Snappy pizza". I'd order from him for sure. (but lose the pepperoni's dude)


Xoxo
Ash


No comments:

Post a Comment