My sweet husband and I.

My sweet husband and I.
Leah Bess Photography.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

My favorite vegetarian sandwiches

I have to tell you, one of my favorite things to eat is the soup and sandwich combo. (Or soup and salad). I could live at Jason's Deli, but I'd be dirt poor.

I love making sandwiches and after going vegetarian, I found myself wondering what on earth I would put in a sandwich besides PB&J. I'm not a huge fan of faux meat, so I started by thinking about what sandwiches I like the best, and what I could substitute. So I wanted to write a little diddy on three easy vegetarian sandwich options!

Note: these photo's are not of my food. I am too much of a pig, and inhale my food before I can get to taking a picture of it! But mine look just as yum :)

First, the Vegetarian Caprese sandwich.

note: this is not my photo, this is a google search photo. But mine are just as yummy looking! (I prefer softer bread myself.) 

Ingredients:
Your favorite bread (preferably whole wheat or whole grain)
Tomato, sliced
Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing
Avocado (optional.. but it makes everything better)
Mozzarella cheese (I use the block, and cut little strips)
Fresh basil (grow a garden, friend! That's where I get mine)
Spinach (organic, folks!)

Directions:
Toast your bread how you please. I stick mine in the toaster, and then I usually put my bread on a cookie sheet, with cheese on one piece. Stick it in the oven, turn on the broiler, and broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melty. Add tomato, spinach, and avocado, top with basil and balsamic vinaigrette dressing and your other piece of bread. Cut that sucker in half (if you like) and enjoy! (Great with tomato basil soup)

Next up, the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich


note: this is a photo of Panera Bread's Mediterranean sandwich. This is what inspired me to make them at home!


Ingredients:
Bread of your choice (again, whole wheat or whole grain)
Spinach, arugula, or kale
Hummus (store bought or home made)
Feta cheese
Tomato, sliced
Cucumber, sliced

Directions: toast bread in toaster. Apply hummus generously to one piece of bread, then sprinkle feta on top. (Your hummus acts as glue). Then, pile on remaining ingredients, cut in half , and eat!

And lastly, an all american favorite that I used to eat probably way too much when I was still a carnivore. The BLT. But we call it the BLAT, because we throw Avocado in there (I told you.. on everything.)

Vegetarian BLT with Avocado (BLAT)


I'm not a huge fan of faux meat, but this stuff seriously.taste.just.like.bacon. It's great!

Ingredients:
Morning Star Farms Veggie Bacon strips (I use about 2-3 per sandwich)
Tomato, sliced
Whole wheat bread
Mayo (or vegan mayo)
Avocado, smashed

Directions:
Cook "Facon" according to package. Assemble bread, cooked "bacon", tomato, mayo and avocado. Enjoy!


I'll leave you with a shot of my basil plant which I obsess over daily. Have you noticed how expensive fresh basil is in stores? And it doesn't usually last long, and it seems all the best recipes call for it. Basil is super easy to grow, and once you get the hang of taking care of it, it will really pay you back for loving it so much. Go get some seeds, friends! (p.s. it's a great indoor plant and windowsill herb)



Follow me on instagram: LuckyLightning

XoXo


No comments:

Post a Comment