My sweet husband and I.

My sweet husband and I.
Leah Bess Photography.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Earth Day - creative uses for reusable items

With Earth day just around the corner, (tomorrow, for those of you who are naughty and didn't know..) The internet is teeming with Earth day promos, freebies, and "go green" content. I stumbled upon this great article,  The Art of Reuse on www.etsy.com.



The article discusses a contest Etsy did about reusing products, and sustainability. I thought it to be only fitting that a discussion be opened up on creative ways to upcycle.











I especially loved this idea from shearmoresheep 's Etsy store, a card wallet made from crocheting plastic bags. I am determined to try it, because let's face it, we are all guilty of wasting plastic bags. I try my best to reuse them, taking my lunch in them, using them for trash, etc. But they are a significant part of our trash problem in America, and if we can reuse them, well then why not!

So this led me to search for creative ideas for plastic bags, and I found... well, nothing really. Simple things like "use as trash can liners," or "put dirty laundry in them". All great ideas, but basic, and not so creative. I'm looking for something like the above etsy seller had in mind, making something new out of something old, you know, Upcycling. So, naturally, I turned to Etsy. :)

This crafter at FFFlowers made these adorable daisies from plastic bags. Genius!


















This etsy crafter, Arny , made these adorable bracelets by knitting plastic bags together! I will definitely be trying this, with my newfound knitting capabilities ;)
















Over at Acleverspark, there's reusable (zippers installed!) bags made from plastic bags that would have otherwise ended up in the trash.
















And Saribellum made a wallet from recycled bags, pretty nifty!

















Leave it to Etsy to make me feel better about the world, that there are those of us out there who are truly intent on upcycling and reducing our waste. I know it's hard, it's definitely nowhere near easy, and I'm not great at it myself. But there are some adorable crafty items out there with a great cause!

On that note, seeing as though tomorrow is Earth Day, here are a few freebies going on in celebration:







Starbucks is giving away a free brewed coffee or tea when you take in a reusable mug tomorrow only, April 22. (You may want to make sure your local store is participating. ) 






Lowes hardware stores are giving away a million tree seedlings on Saturday, April 23rd starting at 7a.m. I hope I can get in on this deal! 




Free entry into national parks all over the country until April 24th!

Not too bad, free stuff to celebrate mother earth. There has to be more out there, what have you found? I know I'll definitely be taking part in the starbucks & the Lowe's one (if I can get up that early)  ;) 

XoXo, and happy Earth Day a day early!
-Ash 

No comments:

Post a Comment