My sweet husband and I.

My sweet husband and I.
Leah Bess Photography.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Wedding planning & budget living

Wow, planning a wedding is expensive! I mean, REALLY expensive. My adorable husband and I have cut every corner possible, and it's still going to be a big change in lifestyle to save up for our wedding.


From the food to the decor to the music, it is not cheap to celebrate your big day with every one. However we are crafty folks and it will predominately be a DIY wedding for the most part.
On that note, we have re-adjusted our budget and lifestyle to allow us to save up for the next 9 months. I was worried that we would be eating nothing but rice & beans (which really wouldn't be a bad thing, since I made some DELICIOUS beans recently in the crock pot..) However.. I am finding that it is a fun sort of challenge to eat on a strict budget. Combine that with my newfound healthy eating regimen (can you say veggies?!) and I have quite a task in front of me.
Pinned Image  
We are the type of folks who like to eat meatloaf, chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and the fixin's. We have never had a good healthy diet, and I've honestly never worried about what I (or we for that matter) ate. But now, it is different, and we are really enjoying it.

meatloaf, I will always love you. You too, mashed potatoes. 

I have been trying to eat healthier, work out, and get fit. You know, the same resolution every one has as of January 1st.. no but really. I'm trying to stick to it. And it's been difficult, but I'm trying to view it as a challenge!


On that note, I made some delicious Lo Mein tonight simply with all the leftovers in my fridge. Lo Mein is a great way (as is stir fry, or pizza) to clean out your fridge on a Sunday evening. Here is my hodge podge of ingredients (spinach, onion, half a red bell pepper, frozen broccoli, whole wheat linguine noodles, mushrooms, and some carrots I had cooked up earlier in the week that I knew would come in handy.)

Saute all your veggies, then throw in your (cooked) noodles with a cup of chicken broth and 1/4 cup soy sauce, and bring it up to a boil. I simmered it about 10 minutes.

For the finished product you get beautiful, delicious Lo Mein (with no scary additives, and healthy whole grain noodles.) 

We ate at FireBowl Cafe this weekend for the first time, and I can honestly say my Lo Mein trumped their food. Our dining experience there was a real disappointment. 

So here is to the start of our new healthy eating. And for those who have husband's/boyfriend's/partner's who may not want to eat healthy, take it from me, it can be done! 

We made Porkchops recently and cooked them very differently, my husband marinating his while I made a "chutney" and only used spices for flavoring. I had a baked sweet potato and he had a regular baked potato. He still got to eat hearty and I made some small adjustments. It works! It can be done. 

Happy (Healthy) Eating!
xoxo: Ash



No comments:

Post a Comment