My sweet husband and I.

My sweet husband and I.
Leah Bess Photography.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Easy homemade wheat pizza crust

In our house, we are on a pizza binge. I don't know what it is, maybe all the different combinations and ways you can put together a pizza, but we are obsessed these days.

Making pizza is actually really easy and affordable, it's a great way to clean out the fridge (think half a bell pepper, the rest of an onion, any meats left over from past dinners, etc.)

I set out to put together a homemade pizza crust, as we had done personal pizza's on Beth from Budget Bytes' homemade pita bread recipe (which are delicious, and cheap, and fun. Beth is a genius.) But I wanted something easier tonight that I didn't have to knead or cut, etc.

So I ended up accidentally making wheat pizza dough, because I was low on white flour. It was still delicious, and allowed me to justify the cheese :D



Ingredients:

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1.5 cups wheat bread flour (you could use all white flour if it's all you have.)
  • 1 cup white flour 
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar. (You want it to foam)
3. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, and oil. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture, and stir until combined. (You should have dough at this point.)
4. Roll into a ball, and leave in bowl, covered with a damp towel/rag for five-ten minutes.
5. Turn dough out onto floured surface, and knead slightly and roll into a round. 
6. Spread dough out onto lightly greased cookie sheet or pizza pan (we did rectangle pizza for lack of a round pizza pan.)
7. Cook ten to fifteen minutes until firm, but not completely baked and crispy. Ten minutes should do.
8. Apply sauce and toppings, then put back in the oven, turning heat down to 350, until toppings are warm.

The result? Delicious, (mostly) healthy wheat pizza! We use onion, mushroom, bell pepper, pepperoni, banana peppers, cheese, and I personally use pinapple :)

**Note: We like our crust to be a bit crispy, and this was a bit thicker than what we would normally like. I'm thinking of splitting it into two rounds next time, to make two pan pizza's, and thinner crusts. Healthier as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment