My sweet husband and I.

My sweet husband and I.
Leah Bess Photography.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bella tackles the vet again, pt. 2

So today my darling, chubby yorkie hit the vet's office again to get a checkup on her little kidneys. She is just so adorable, even the vet said that Bella has no idea that she is sick or that anything is wrong. I think I love that. It's so heartbreaking.. Ugh but I'm trying to stay positive and not be a downer about the whole thing. Basically, her kidneys are "stable", not better but not worse. Basically, not failing. They are suggesting putting her on very low dose aspirin (which according to the vet is ok for dogs) and then some medicine to keep her blood pressure down. I just have been doing a lot of research on Holistic vet practices and the ideas of these drugs in her little body really worries me. 

 
here we are on Mother's day weekend. She's quite the fluffy daughter ;) 

So according to plenty of websites, veterinary ones included, aspirin should not be prescribed for dogs with kidney failure or disease. Thus, I don't quite understand why the vet is prescribing it to her. And so far I haven't found anything bad on the internet about this blood pressure medicine, but I'm still skeptical. I asked the vet about holistic practices, and they highly recommended getting her acupuncture and using Chinese Herbs. As soon as I have a couple hundred bucks handy I'm going to take her in for that. I planned to do that tomorrow, but now I'm not sure, because I am spending quite a lot on regular vet practices. But money is another story.. 

Basically, I think Holistic practices are going to be the winner. I have read so much about how it helps and how there are more positive results using herbs, enzymes, and natural supplements and practices. So I plan to try it, especially acupuncture, which is supposed to help with overall health and inflammation. Not sure if I'll do this whole drug thing for her. Another odd thing, regular vet practices suggest low protein diets, where Holistic practices suggest the complete opposite, and are opposed to using low protein diets in dogs with Kidney disease.

The saddest part is that the vet said that if I'm lucky, Bella will get 2 more years. But I am skeptical of that. She is so happy and has no clue that anything is wrong, and I won't and can't let that change. I can't let her get worse. I'll do whatever it takes. 

The vet said that it has happened before, but very rarely, that the protein levels just turn themselves around and even out. But in her 15 years she hasn't seen it happen. But, you're saying it's possible. And that's all I need is a glimmer of hope. Finally. And the vet even highly praised the holistic medicines and said they were known to help with overall health. 

So through all the sadness and sickness there has to be a light somewhere, I refuse to let there not be one. And I think natural, holistic medicine is going to be it. It's going to help, it's going to lengthen her life, and it's going to make a big difference. It HAS to. I have to keep the faith and cherish every single moment with her, which is what I'm definitely doing. But I can't let it appear to be a downhill battle.. because that's when I get depressed. It has to be positive and there has to be a glimmer of hope. Even if I'm grasping at straws and unusual circumstances, I have to find a way. Pray that I do. 

 "Dog's aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." 

Well, mine is my whole life. I intend to keep it that way for a long time. 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment