My sweet husband and I.

My sweet husband and I.
Leah Bess Photography.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Recycing Magazines into Arts & Crafts -

Today, I was obsessively following Sweeties Freebies on Facebook, as per my usual day routine, (trust me, they post fantastic deals and freebies that will keep you entertained almost all day), and she asked her readers what they do with their magazines once they are through with them. A few posted that they will drop them at a Dr.'s office or put them in a "free" pile in a garage sale bin. I know personally I have used magazine clippings as art materials, and I've made everything from picture frames to end tables to coasters with them. Here I compiled a few ideas of things that you, (and your kids, if you have them) could use old magazine's for.

First, Patricia Zapata at "A Little Hut" made a magazine bowl, very clever!




Find her tutorial/walkthrough on her blog, here








I know I personally have made magazine clippings into an end table. I took an old table that I found in my parents garage, (I was 17 and in HS at the time, ) and made an awesome end table out of clippings from 17, cosmo, glamour, and anything else I could get my hands on. I wish I had pics of it now but alas I'm not at my main computer. (I'll post some later). But here's an alternative to what I did, using mag's to create a side table in a different way

This image is borrowed from Re-Nest , find their article by clicking the link.












The author of this Crafting a Green World did a GORGEOUS job of making a coffee table from old books. Same concept, different media. Lovely!















Also, recycled magazines could make fabulous picture frames or a mirror.
(images belong to http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/)
However, I stumbled upon this blog, A Hint of , where the blogger gives a tutorial of her own home made magazine picture frames. Don't you love free resources on the internet!!

Let me give you one HUGE piece of advice when doing any of these products. DECOUPAGE AND MODGE PODGE people, you can find these types of glues at Wal-Mart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or other craft stores. Do not rely on your regular glue. Modge podge is great because it serves as an adhesive to stick your paper to the surface, and it dries clear so that you can apply it over the top of the paper as well. The end table I made 8 years ago is still in great shape thanks to these great glues!

Other ideas:

Magazine Art:
Decoupage a few pieces of paper/cardboard with magazine strips/cutouts, and put them in three or four similar frames. Hang them in your study/media room/office, and they'll serve as cheap, upcycled art that is one of a kind.

Tile coasters:
Create one of a kind tile coasters with magazine, newspaper, old books, etc. These would make a great gift, too! I'll set up a tutorial on these and post later, just so you have a visual :)

Recycled Magazine Magnets
How About Orange did a great article on how she upcycles magazines such as West Elm and others into magnets. Great idea!


So before you toss those old magazine's, think about how you can recycle/upcycle them! There's no better way to create one of a kind art for your home. Also, try good ol' fashioned google.com, search "recycled magazine projects." You're bound to find a great idea!

XoxO
-Ashley

2 comments:

  1. OMG I saw the frame at Marshalls for $15.00!! I should have bought it! I do not think we could ever do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I saw a mirror at Marshall's too, but it was still $25 bucks!

    ReplyDelete